The Best Varicose Vein Treatments Begin With a Vein Evaluation
Your road to Better Veins for Life® begins with your personalized evaluation. Our team will sit down with you, listen to your concerns, discuss your symptoms, do a clinical exam and perform a specialized vein ultrasound to determine the extent of your venous disease.
This comprehensive, personalized approach to vein evaluation ensures we see the full picture, to develop your personalized treatment plan. Through the examination and discussions with you, we will better answer important questions, including:
- What caused your varicose veins?
- In what ways can you slow the progression of your venous disease?
- Which procedures will provide you with relief?
- How do we help you prevent developing new varicose veins?
Understanding the Causes of Your Venous Disease
There are many causes of venous disease, including varicose veins, spider veins, and blood clots. To prevent further damage, reduce symptoms, and achieve Better Veins for Life, understanding your medical history, family history, and lifestyle are essential to a great result. Chances are, if you have varicose veins, you are likely in more than one of these high risk categories. Risk factors for varicose veins include:
- Advanced age (60+)
- Family history of venous disease
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Careers that require sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Multiple pregnancies
- Frequently wearing high heels and/or tight, pinching clothing
- Medications which can affect your circulation, including hormonal birth control
- Obesity, weight gain
- Recent surgery, injury, or illness requiring long term bed rest
Conservative Care and Lifestyle Changes
For most of our patients, some at-home self care lifestyle changes go a long way toward reducing symptoms and slowing the progression of venous disease. This is an important step in the best varicose vein treatments and care plans. We will work with you on the best ways to move forward with:
- Fitted, high-quality, graduated compression stockings to improve circulation and reduce swelling and discomfort associated with varicose veins
- Exercise tips to improve circulation, including walking, cycling, calf pumps, and swimming
- Daily leg elevation to reduce swelling and enhance blood flow from your feet and legs back up to your heart
- Guidance related to weight loss and improving your overall health
- Making changes to your wardrobe to make healthier, vein health friendly choices in footwear and other clothing
Our guidance will be tailored to your overall needs, taking into consideration underlying health conditions and guidance from your other physicians and specialists.
Procedures to Remove Varicose Veins
Your VSS Protocol for the best vein care depends on your unique concerns. Underlying health conditions, medications, and extent of your venous disease help inform recommendations for your best varicose vein care outcomes. Your comprehensive vein treatment plan includes treatment of the underlying cause of your problem and the visible varicose and spider veins. We promise your VSS protocol of vein care will be selected from our broad array of safe and comfortable treatment options for your the affected vein(s).
Don’t assume that invasive vein stripping is your only option. In fact times have changed! At VSS your vein care features minimally invasive, Walk In, Walk Out® procedures. Your treatments featuring gentle local anesthesia will be performed in our comfortable office setting. No surgery center or hospital stay required! In fact your VSS has achieved Vein Center Accreditation.
These procedures include:
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy: This is one of the best varicose vein treatments for bulging varicose veins. Through micro-incisions, your varicose veins can safely be removed without the need for general anesthesia.
- Endovenous Thermal Ablation: Heat offers one of the best varicose vein treatments if you have reflux in your Great Saphenous Vein or Small Saphenous Vein. The heat energy seals the vein shut and your body will absorb it over time.
- Sclerotherapy: For recurring varicose veins and/or saphenous reflux, a foaming sclerosing agent is injected into the bad veins closing the veins, which are reabsorbed over time. Ultrasound guidance if often used to verify placement into the bad veins.
- VenaSeal: Another one of our top varicose vein treatments for Saphenous Vein Reflux, this procedure works by using a medical grade adhesive to seal the vein closed.
- Varithena: An ultrasound directed injection of a foaming sclerosing agent, Varithena is a good option for refluxing varicose veins. It’s particularly helpful when treating saphenous veins disease.
Preventing Future Venous Disease
Unfortunately, vein disease is chronic. Once your diseased veins are treated, it’s important to continue your lifestyle changes and conservative care to prevent new varicose veins from developing. Routine follow up appointments may be needed to monitor your vein health. This allows us to detect unhealthy veins more quickly, reducing the risk of uncomfortable symptoms and the need for more procedures.